Monday, 2 February 2009

Non-starter

Google, it would seem, is no more immune to weather than anyone else. :)

As I'm currently staying in temporary accommodation which is at most 5 minutes walk from Google's offices, I had no trouble getting there through the 6-8" of snow this morning; others were not so fortunate. As a consequence, the best laid plans went quite firmly awry; and whilst I made some generic "Noogler" progress today thanks to a number of very helpful individuals, I am no closer to knowing what I'll actually be working on. (And yes, a "Noogler" really is what the other "Googlers" call new starters!)

Today was thus a bit of an odd day, but it wasn't all a waste of time - I had a nice fruit salad and a kiwi smoothie for breakfast and a selection of delicious sushi for lunch. ;)

For those who are interested, the London site is, quite predictably, largely white with splashes of primary colours, and feels very airy and light; lots of the doors and partitions are glass. However, whilst the offices are predominantly open-plan, the sight-lines are broken up by large numbers of little offices and meeting rooms and the place fortunately manages to avoid feeling like a warehouse. However, as I said, there weren't very many people in today - I don't quite know what it'll be like when it's full!

Having expressed a preference for Apple over Microsoft, the corporate laptop now sitting beside me is a very shiny MacBook Pro, not that I've done a great deal with it yet. I get the impression that most of the actual development is done on Linux machines.

Almost everything I did today, as one might have predicted, was through a web-browser: looking up new-starter information and to-do lists, HR-related admin etc. In some respects, this doesn't differ greatly from many other companies these days - it seems increasingly common for companies to automate their processes by embedding them in a web application. What does differ (although again this is hardly news) is that conventional email, calendar, instant messaging, and even document-writing applications are all absent - the web-browser is instead the universal applications platform. Well, perhaps not quite universal; I did spot the reassuring presence of a variety of more conventional text-editors. :)

Aside from that not much to report really; roll on day 2...

3 comments:

  1. Great idea to blog Alex. To fill you in on how things are here, it has just stopped snowing here and the sun has come out. I haven't seen any collisions this morning (though somebody was asking for one earlier wheel spinning in the car park), but the car which turned onto its roof yesterday in front of Julian is still on view in the farmers field next to the drive. The pigs seem happy if slightly wrong footed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alex - Cool way to keep us all up to date on "Alex world - post Roke !"

    Some Snow Picts: http://gallery.shmanahar.org/2009-02-snow (none of Roke as we did not make it that far today) - It is still snowing hard - it is fun watching the cars try to escape and sliding back down the road before we go out and help them ;o)

    I hope Day two has at least some delicious food in store for you ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Important question - which browser? Please tell me they don't force you to use Chrome? :-)

    ReplyDelete